Juices to Boost Your Immune System
Everyone knows that eating a healthy, balanced diet with fresh fruits and vegetables can improve your overall health and well-being, providing essential vitamins and minerals to bolster immunity. But eating fruits and vegetables is not the only way to boost immunity; you also can drink them. In fact, some people prefer to drink juice because it is quicker and easier than eating the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables in a day. There are some juices that pack more power for your immune system than others:
- Carrot Juice – Carrots are a source of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A plays a role in regulating the immune system and helping the body fight infections by keeping T-cells in circulation.
- Orange Juice – Orange juice, as well as other citrus fruits, are good sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects cells from substances that damage the body. Vitamin C also promotes white blood cell and antibody production, which helps defend against foreign invaders.
- Kale Juice – Kale is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, all of which are beneficial for immune health.
- Tomato Juice – Tomato juice is a top source of vitamin C and vitamin A; both vitamins play an integral role in immune health.
- Root Juice – Combine celery with leaves, beets with leaves, and carrots to make root juice that is rich in vitamins C, A, and folate to boost immunity.
- Kiwi Strawberry Juice with Mint – Both kiwis and strawberries are sweet fruits full of vitamin C, and mint is an herb that is a good source of folate, vitamin A, magnesium, and zinc. Kiwi strawberry juice with mint boosts immunity and helps the body fight infection.
Juicing Your Way to Immune Health
Because it’s possible to reap the benefits of certain fruits and vegetables by consuming them in juice form, the juicing trend emerged as a way to gain the benefits of different fruits and vegetables in powerful, blended beverages.
There are thousands of juicing recipes blending the effects of multiple fruits and vegetables to create a rich, immune-boosting smoothie or beverage to supplement your healthy diet and regular exercise program to improve your immune health and overall well-being. Combinations such as tomato-carrot juice offer a robust combination of antioxidants and Vitamin A to boost collagen health in the skin, providing a barrier to entry for pathogens that can cause disease and regulating the activity of immune cells including T-cells, B-cells, and cytokines. Not to mention, this combination is an excellent one for warding off the effects of aging on your skin.
If your taste buds aren’t the biggest fans of tomato juice, other combinations such as carrot-apple-pear juice offer a tasty and beneficial alternative. The possibilities are endless, and once you’ve learned the various immune-boosting effects of a variety of fruits, vegetables, and even herbs, you can create your own immune-enhancing juice combinations to bolster immunity, fight the effects of aging, and ward off everything from chronic disease to the common cold.
Dangers of a Weak Immune System
People who take care of themselves often have healthy immune systems. However, people who get inadequate sleep, who suffer chronic stress, who eat diets high in sugar and saturated fat, and who lack proper hygiene risk weakening their immune system. A weakened immune system leaves people susceptible to catching the common cold, acquiring a disease, or getting an infection.
In fact, people who have a weak immune system feel fatigued, get frequent infections, suffer from the flu, colds, and sore throat often, experience more allergic reactions, and have injuries that take quite a long time to heal.
How to Boost the Immune System: A Whole-Body Approach to Good Health
There are some steps people can take to boost their immune system’s performance. For instance, getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night; engaging in relaxing activities such as going for a walk, practicing yoga, or reading a book to reduce stress levels; and washing their hands frequently throughout the day are easy ways people can boost their immunity.
There are several diet changes people can make to improve their immune system’s function as well. For example, cooking with olive and canola oils is a way to boost immunity because their healthy fats serve as lubricants that improve flexibility and communication between cells to promote immune function. Similarly, eating lean protein at every meal helps the body protect itself from bacteria, viruses, and germs because antibodies that fight disease are made of protein. High-protein foods also contain immune-boosting nutrients.
It’s also a good idea to eat five cups of fruits and vegetables per day to boost the immune system because they are full of vitamins A, C, and E, which help white blood cells fight off infection and disease. Additionally, you should limit your alcohol intake. Excessive alcohol is toxic to immune system cells that play a role in seeking and destroying invading microbes. While people should not drink alcohol to boost immunity, they should drink certain juices to ensure optimal immune response.
Finally, supplementing your healthy diet with an all-natural probiotic can help to make your body’s defense system even stronger and more robust by keeping vital systems in balance and prompting cytokines, which act as messengers, to more readily identify and alert the body to the presence of potentially dangerous invaders.
Immune health is critical to our overall wellbeing. The ins and outs of daily life weakens the immune system, so people should take steps such as eating a healthy, well-balanced diet and drinking juices that boost immunity to help their bodies defend against viruses, diseases, and infections.